Deputy Director, Direct Impact
Direct Impact is Echoing Green’s experiential board leadership program. Launched in 2015, Direct Impact provides comprehensive leadership and governance training to private sector professionals through an immersive and experiential program. The ‘traditional’ Direct Impact program is comprised of retreats, workshops, and site visits, together designed to prepare individuals to serve on the boards of Echoing Green Fellows, and to ultimately participate in meaningful cross-sector collaboration for a lifetime. Programming also includes workshops and trainings that reach a larger cross-sector audience. Echoing Green expects to launch an immersive six-day version of Direct Impact in the 2019, which the Deputy Director will manage and execute. The Deputy Director is responsible for leading the overall implementation and growth of the program. The Deputy Director will report to the Director of Catalyze Ecosystem, who created and launched the Direct Impact program. The Deputy Director will be responsible for taking Direct Impact to the “next level” and will be closely supported and coached by the Director of Catalyze Ecosystem in doing so. The Deputy Director will manage the Direct Impact coordinator.
Strategic Direction and Partnership Development
- Work in close partnership with the Director, Catalyze Ecosystem to create high-level strategy for Direct Impact, including planning for growth and scale opportunities; ensuring programmatic priorities are aligned with Echoing Green’s organizational and strategic priorities, and executing on existing and new programming.
- Develop and cultivate a pipeline of strong partnerships with external partners, including nonprofits, corporations, and individuals.
- Provide strong management, coaching, and partnership to the Direct Impact Coordinator, ensuring a strong Direct Impact team dynamic
- Manage program outreach (direct and through partnerships) and application process, review applications, conduct applicant interviews; continuously improve the application process to find and recruit the best and most diverse set of applicants.
- Select and onboard each cohort of Direct Impact candidates (12-15 per cohort); ensure each cohort is comprised of a diverse group of individuals.
- Manage the implementation of retreats and workshops.
- Build and manage a robust Alumni program, ensuring that Echoing Green engages the Direct Impact Alumni for the long-term.
- Manage board matching process, including surveying and preparing both Direct Impact graduates and Echoing Green Fellows for a successful match. Work closely with Fellows in the board matching process to understand their needs.
Curriculum Development and Training
- Continuously improve the Direct Impact model and curriculum working in close partnership with the Leadership Development Framework and Catalyze Ecosystem teams.
- Develop and implement experiential learning site visits for program participants and Echoing Green Fellows, both domestically and abroad; work closely with Direct Impact coordinator to manage logistics of the trips.
- Facilitate all retreats and workshops, bringing in external and internal consultants where need to supplement expertise.
- Recruit and manage internal staff and external consultants to support curriculum development and training needs of the program.
- Maintain and deepen the nonprofit board ‘start-up’ manual for both board members and Fellows.
Direct Fellow Support
- Develop content and lead/manage trainings (webinars and in-person) for Fellows to support them in their board development efforts.
- Provide 1 on 1 support for Fellows in regards to board development.
Finance, Fundraising, and External Communications
- Manage the Direct Impact budget; provide deep support and partnership for the fundraising goals of the program.
- Find and develop corporate partnerships with the goal of engaging their employees in Direct Impact, working closely with Echoing Green’s development team to create and cultivate relationships and partnerships.
- Oversee the payment process for Direct Impact and manage scholarship applications.
- In partnership with the Direct Impact Coordinator and Communications team, develop core content for 1-pagers, pitch decks, and other Direct Impact marketing and communications.
- Write blogs/articles to capture and convey the purpose and benefits of the program for external audience.
- Attend and speak at conferences on behalf of Direct Impact on topics of board governance, leadership development, and supporting social entrepreneurs through board leadership.
This position is based in New York City. The candidate must be located or be willing to relocate to New York for this role.
- Bachelor’s degree, plus a minimum of 8 years work experience with non-profit, business, or social enterprise sector experience or an equivalent graduate degree
- Understanding of, and experience with nonprofit board leadership, leadership development, and cross-sector partnerships
- Exceptionally skilled at program management and successful track record of growing/scaling a program within an organization
- Facilitation and training experience, particularly with highly skilled business leaders
- Passion for Echoing Green’s mission and for the potential that corporate leaders have to support the social sector
- Strong ability to work independently, but also desire for and experience with working in high-performing teams; ability to build relationships with stakeholders at all levels, both within the private and non-profit sectors
- Exceptional management knowledge and skillset, with an ability to support team members as they reach collective goals
- Demonstrated knowledge of issues and trends in social entrepreneurship, global issues, and organizational/board development
- Deep appetite for networking and relationship building
- Understanding of, and experience in, fundraising, partnership development, and CSR
- Comfort working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and committed to meeting deadlines and creating and improving processes
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to manage multiple responsibilities
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong facility with MS Office required; SalesForce.com, preferred
About Echoing Green
Echoing Green accelerates talent that is changing the world for the better.
Through its Fellowships for social entrepreneurs and other innovative leadership development programs, Echoing Green identifies transformational leaders at an early stage, invests deeply in the growth of their ideas and leadership, and builds a broad ecosystem that will support them long into the future.
Echoing Green has been ahead of the curve for more than 30 years, supporting visionaries around the world who are transforming economies and driving toward racial and gender equity, environmental sustainability, and more. Among Echoing Green’s unparalleled community of talent are nearly 800 innovators who have launched organizations including Teach For America, City Year, One Acre Fund, SKS Microfinance, Public Allies, and more. The organization provides seed-funding and leadership development to a new class of Fellows every year and welcomes them into its lifelong community of leaders.
We offer a generous benefits package that includes major medical, dental, a matching 403(b) plan, paid time off, and much more.
As an equal opportunity program, Echoing Green encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis.