Impact Investing Internship - Summer/Fall 2017 (Seattle, WA)
About Echoing Green
For 30 years, Echoing Green has unleashed next-generation talent to solve the world’s biggest problems. These leaders, who spend their lives working with purpose, define their generations; they make society better. Echoing Green continues to build a global community of emerging leaders–over 700 and growing–who launched Teach For America, City Year, One Acre Fund, SKS Microfinance, and more.
Echoing Green's impact investing program has been formed in response to an increase in Fellowship applications with for-profit business models to solve the world's most pressing social and environmental challenges. After building our internal capacity to get Fellows impact investment-ready, we are expanding our outreach to impact investors and advisors to provide links to appropriate post-seed follow-on funding and support. This Intern will have the opportunity to meaningfully contribute to this new and exciting initiative.
Note: This is not an investing position. We also do not anticipate this internship turning into a full-time position. Candidates must be located or willing to relocate to Seattle for this internship. This internship is scheduled to start late June or early July and ideally continue for 5-6 months, through the end of 2017.
- Project Management (35%):
- Manage and support coordination of a Legal Advisory Group (LAG) pilot and launch of an Investor Advisory Group. Partner with Fellowship team to ensure scheduling, programming, and recruitment are successful. Take call notes and manage follow-up. Keep the Director and Deputy Director of Fellowship up to date on timeline and key action items.
- Review Fellow investment readiness materials and asks by Fellows to summarize for the Director. Facilitate and document follow-up and resource gathering among portfolio managers, Fellows, investors, and the Director. Work with Programs Coordinator to suggest and manage improvements to tracking and management of Fellow and Funder connections.
- Events Support (30%): Provide programming and logistics planning for investors at the Echoing Green All Fellows Conference in October. The Consultant will have the chance to coordinate and provide input to important new programming for the organization’s 30th Anniversary Summit. The Consultant position is a non-travel position.
- Data Analysis (20%): Access and customize data sets from Salesforce. Pull data on and export details to Excel Workbook to conduct relevant analyses on fundraising using pivot tables. Effectively visualize financial data with charts and graphs. Independently conduct desk research and document processes.
- Social Media Communications (10%): Echoing Green is leading the way for social entrepreneurs to be heard in impact investing discussions, and promoting a data-driven conversation on impact investing by highlighting industry achievements, challenges and trends. The intern will regularly utilize Slack, Salesforce Chatter, Twitter, Hootsuite, Google Alerts, and similar communications tools for weekly internal and external presence.
- Administrative Support (10%): Perform key administrative support activities, and may include: proofreading presentations and reports, drafting professional email correspondence with C-level executives, Salesforce contact management, conducting online research, scheduling meetings, and managing Dropbox and Basecamp project sites.
The ideal candidate will have outstanding professional communications and research skills. The candidate will need to be able to demonstrate that they can work independently, communicate effectively via written and oral communications, and manage up, especially as the Director travels frequently for work.
They will have detail-oriented analytical skills, a knack to synthesize data, with the ability to spot trends in data and communicate them clearly.
They will ideally have experience supporting event programming and conferences, including logistics, scheduling, and content brainstorming.
They will also have some experience working in finance or investment and/or familiarity with types of support or guidance offerings available to start-ups and entrepreneurs.
- Commitment to social change, interest in impact investing, and belief in Echoing Green's mission
- Familiarity with impact investing; experience in impact investing desirable
- S/he must be an independent, self-directed, highly-organized, innovative thinker who can manage multiple projects at one time while working and communicating in-person and remotely
- Superior project management, time management, and research skills & ability to work independently
- Bachelor’s Degree (Business, finance, or economics a plus)
- Proven track record of success in data analysis, both qualitative and quantitative
- Strong computer skills - MS Office, particularly Excel expert; Salesforce a plus
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Past event preparation and coordination skills desirable
- The candidate must be located or be willing to relocate to Seattle. We are unable to sponsor those who need Visas to work in the U.S. at this time.
- Monthly stipend offered: $1,500.00 per month
- Monthly public transit contribution: $150 per month loaded on a public transit card
- Travel compensation (contribution toward one round trip air fare): $250.00 one time
As an equal opportunity program, Echoing Green encourages applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, marital status, physical ability or any other legally protected basis.