Senior Associate, Black Male Achievement Fellowship
Echoing Green seeks a passionate and detail-oriented project manager and relationship builder with 7+ years of relevant experience and a demonstrated passion for supporting black men and boys in the United States. The Senior Associate, BMA Fellowship, will serve on the team that manages the search, selection, and support of an incredible group of promising social entrepreneurs.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Every year, Echoing Green identifies approximately 40 incredible, ambitious, exciting potential leaders and then offers them two years of funding and support. Several Senior Associates are the direct liaisons to a portfolio of Echoing Green Fellows. Each Senior Associate also helps lead on team-wide priorities including our annual application process, regular conferences, etc. The team is supported by two Program Assistants.
In 2011, Echoing Green and the Open Society Foundations launched an innovative new fellowship program to support game-changing social entrepreneurs in the field of Black Male Achievement. BMA Fellows live and work in their home region, working to launch their innovative new organization. They receive a $70,000 stipend to support their work, as well as an intensive 18-months of professional development conferences and access to the broader Echoing Green and Open Society Foundations communities. (See: www.echoinggreen.org/bma)
The ideal candidate, then, is eager to operate and execute, and also impassioned about generating new ideas to align fellow programs with Echoing Green’s broader social change agenda.
Direct Fellow Support
- Liaise with an extremely diverse portfolio of current BMA Fellows – writing their Individual Fellow Plans, monitoring their progress, and helping to identify resources and develop tools that support their success
- Directly manage support programs for fellows, including advisory service projects, where fellows are paired with outside experts who provide short-term consulting help to the fellow
External Relationship Management
- Manage a senior-level group of BMA Advisors, including our donor partners at the Open Society Foundations, who provide general strategic support, as well as direct guidance to Fellows
- Work productively with volunteers, corporate partners, and other constituents in the Echoing Green community.
- Identify and develop organizational partnerships (such as with universities, professional service firms, or other nonprofits) that would be of benefit to fellows
- Collaborate with the team and provide program support to various gatherings including our Interview Week, New Fellows Retreats, and All Fellows Conferences.
- Support the highly-detailed process of gathering applications and monitoring the judging/review process using our online application system
- Passion for Echoing Green’s mission, with a commitment to social entrepreneurship and harnessing next generation talent.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Deep passion for the work of social entrepreneurs to improve life outcomes for black men and boys
- A basic understanding of the field of Black Male Achievement, and ability to work knowledgeably with our Fellows
- Ideally, the candidate has direct experience as a social entrepreneur. At a minimum, the candidate has a meaningful understanding of a start-up climate (where our Fellows are).
- An experienced networker, with some relevant existing networks and a readiness to build new ones with stakeholders at all levels
- Strong ability to work independently, but also desire for and experience with working in high-performing teams and across departments.
- Excellent organizational skills and detail-oriented, with the ability to manage multiple responsibilities.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and committed to meeting deadlines and creating and improving processes.
- High level of comfort with software systems such as MS Office, Convio, and SalesForce.com.
The ideal candidate has a bachelor’s degree + seven (7) years experience, or graduate degree and equivalent. This is a full-time position based in New York City. Start date is August 2014.
Echoing Green has a generous benefits package that includes major medical, dental, a matching
403(b) plan, paid time off, and other benefits.